On the surface, this poem just resembles another story, simply meant to be read to children by their parents before they go to bed, but there are more meanings to this poem/story.
After reading carefully the whole story, answer the following questions:
1) Write a summary or synthesis of the story in 60 words or less.
2) The tree keeps on giving to the boy until it has nothing left to give. The boy on the other hand does not give anything to the tree.
- Is the boy selfish? Why?
- What about the tree, is the tree selfish?
- Is there a word for someone who keeps on giving without thinking about him/herself or expecting something in return?
- Is the tree selfless? Why?
- Why do you think the tree is not happy after giving her trunk?
3) Write a short essay about the issues raised by this story: giving, selfishness, selflessness. altruism, love
You can answer here in the blog, using the comments, or you can e-mail your answers.